Benefits of molecular hydrogen (H2 ) Water- part 2
molecular hydrogen (H2 ) Water for Athletes and Active People
There is a growing body of highly credible science that shows molecular hydrogen ( H2 ) offers all of those benefits, and more. The best way to get moleular hydrogen H2 is by drinking molecular hydrogen infused water. There have been over 600 peer reviewed papers published showing that molecular hydrogen water offers therapeutic health benefits of hydrogen rich water in 150 disease models and health conditions and virtually every organ of the body. A growing collection of these studies using molecular hydrogen water have shown molecular hydrogen water H2 has significant benefits for athletic performance and during routine exercise.
What Makes Activities / Exercise Hard?
Any activity or training above a resting state immediately increases our body’s needs for energy and oxygen to power the activity. Any activity that is more intense than what your body is used to, stresses your system causing a cascade of effects.
The increased oxygen produces more cell damaging oxygen (free) radicals, which cause oxidative stress. Oxidative stress silently attacks your cells behind the scenes leading to loss of cell viability and cell death, causing muscle damage, weakness, fatigue and inflammation.1-3 This is especially true with exercise induced oxidative stress.
If your activity is intense enough, you will use up available ATP for energy and your body will burn glycogen. When that happens you will feel the burn from lactic acid build up, which leads to fatigue and possible muscle soreness. All of this leads to decreased endurance, reduced performance, poor results and less enjoyment.
Molecular Hydrogen Rich Water Increases Your Energy
ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) is the energy currency for all the activities of your body. The food we eat and oxygen we breathe create ATP in the mitochondria, powering each of our cells and our activity.
However, free radicals are also produced every minute from the oxygen we breathe. It’s simply a fact of aerobic metabolism. Free radicals – especially oxygen radicals – damage your mitochondria. When damaged mitochondria cannot produce the necessary levels of ATP, the body turns to metabolizing stored glycogen. Glycogen stores are found mostly in the liver where they are accessed and used for energy.
A growing body of research shows many health benefits of molecular hydrogen rich water, including improved mitochondrial function, increases ATP production and potentially induces mitochondrial biogenesis.4 Molecular hydrogen H2 is the smallest molecule in the universe and so rapidly diffuses through our cell membranes, and neutralizes the damaging free radicals. Molecular’s hydrogen protective properties allow the mitochondria to produce optimal levels of ATP, providing you with more energy. When you have to dig deep and go beyond your ATP production, as we all sometimes do during activity or training, research has shown that molecular hydrogen H2 can support an increase of glycogen stored in your liver.4
The research is in. Drinking molecular hydrogen water shows many increased health benefits including improved energy through improved ATP production while increased glycogen stores help decrease fatigue and muscle damage. Go longer. Go stronger.
Molecular Hydrogen Water Reduces Lactic Acid Buildup
Anytime your body starts burning stored glycogen you start to produce lactic acid. Increased lactic acid buildup in turn leads to greater fatigue, muscle soreness and slower recovery. Exercise-induced metabolic acidosis is common among some highly active individuals and many highly trained athletes. It’s another silent, behind the scenes effect; if you have acidosis you don’t know it, except by seeing and feeling that you are not performing at your best.
One recent study found another health benefit of molecular hydrogen rich water is that it can positively impact athletic performance in elite athletes. Both muscle fatigue and lactate (levels of lactic acid in the blood) were decreased in the control group of elite, highly trained athletes when they consumed molecular hydrogen H2 rich water before undergoing intensive exercise controlled by strict test protocols.5
A similar study found that molecular hydrogen water had a beneficial effect on the maximal rate of perceived exertion and lactic acid build-up at critical running speed during maximal exercise. While the exact mechanism was not identified, the study concluded “… that hydrogen-rich water decreases the physical stress during maximal exercise…”.6
A quote from one of the multiple research papers on this topic says it succinctly:
“Adequate hydration with hydrogen-rich water pre-exercise reduced blood lactate levels and improved exercise-induced decline of muscle function.”
Kosuke Aoki, et al Medical Gas Research, 2012
Please note that as molecular hydrogen water is also produced by a water ionizer when the water ionizer produces alkaline ionized water ; as lactic acid is (as the name states) an acid, you can drink alkaline ionized water (AKW) or ERW(Electrolisys Reduced Water) wich also contains molecular hydrogen to get rid of/neutralize that lactic acid buildu and recover faster.read more benefits of alkaline ionized water & more about molecular hydrogen water
Molecular Hydrogen Water Protects Against Oxidative Stress
Being a powerful antioxidant this sounds right , Any increase in activity results in an increased level of oxidative stress. Unusual or intense physical activity over a short period of time causes higher levels of oxidative stress and lactic acid buildup (exercise-induced metabolic acidosis). This causes the symptoms of overtraining such as increased fatigue, residual muscle soreness, micro-tears to the muscle fibers, and inflammation. Oxidative stress in any form, and no matter how you got there, is not good.
Scientists have known for a long time that one health benefit of molecular hydrogen H2 is that it readily neutralizes free radicals, specifically the hydroxyl radical (*OH–) and oxide radical ion (0+).7-9 Especially important is that molecular hydrogen H2 appears to selectively target the hydroxyl radical which is the most toxic to the cells. Other free radicals (e.g. nitric oxide radical) are actually important to cell physiology and homeostasis.7,8 Unlike other “non-selective” antioxidants,molecular hydrogen H2 leaves these good radicals unchanged, making it a superlative antioxidant.
Molecular Hydrogen H2 water Improves Recovery Time and Healing
Studies have found molecular hydrogen rich water to be beneficial in treating injuries and conditions related to oxidative stress and inflammation, and in treating soft tissue sports injuries.10
Molecular Hydrogen water has been shown to help maintain homeostasis of enzymes including glutathione, superoxide dismutase, catalase and others.4
Molecular Hydrogen H2 ( water ) has also demonstrated cell signaling capability critical to the brain and neurological function.4,13
These properties make molecular hydrogen water far more beneficial to your health than a simple recovery drink focused only on repairing muscles.
Molecular Hydrogen Water Improves Your Hydration
As H2 Hydrogen molecules neutralize the hydroxyl radical and oxygen radicals, the only thing that is left inside of the cell from this reaction is water, leading researchers to deduce that H2 also improves cellular hydration. This also explains why no published study has found any negative effect of consuming hydrogen water.
The molecular hydrogen H2 water Solution
molecular hydrogen H2 water is safe.
molecular hydrogen H2 water is 100% natural. Research shows hydrogen water directly addresses so many of the issues we face in having more enjoyment, success and results in our activities, fitness and athletics. And it is effective for a broad range of conditions related to oxidative stress – far beyond those caused by our activities or fitness efforts. In fact, the majority of research on molecular hydrogen H2 has been focused on chronic disease conditions caused by oxidation.
Studies show hydrogen rich water has many health benefits for a number of conditions that are related to oxidation, like metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and even side effects of cancer treatment.11,12 It’s also readily accessible and affordable.
Where Can I Get Molecular Hydrogen Water?
Molecular Hydrogen rich water is produced by
2) various forms of magnesium placed in water to create molecular hydrogen H2 by chemical reaction. (Metallic magnesium or magnesium fumarate tablets, powders or sticks.), or by
3) magnesium media imbedded in specialty water filters.
All three of these methods for making hydrogen water are available from AlkaViva.
Please note that most studies and research with molecular hydrogen gas were performed using molecular hydrogen rich water
diatomic molecular hydrogen H2- Water Products
- Enjoy molecular hydrogen water from an entry level price top quality water ionizer
- Enjoy neutral pH water rich in molecular Hydrogen form AlkaViva IonPia H2 hydrogen water ionizer
- Enjoy UltraWater & UltraFine 0.01 microns well water filtration as well as molecular hydrogen water with AlkaViva Elite Pure H2
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation via a NON electric water ionizer at a decent price
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation via a NON electric UnderSink water ionizer at a decent price
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation EVERYWHERE through a AlkaViva PHD pitcher
For a list of some of the peer reviewed studies about molecular hydrogen water visit here.
1. Djordjevic D, Cubrilo D, Macura M, Barudzic N, Djuric D, Jakovljevic V. The influence of training status on oxidative stress in young male handball players. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;351(1–2):251–259.
2. Tanskanen M, Atalay M, Uusitalo A. Altered oxidative stress in overtrained athletes. J Sports Sci.2010;28(3):309–317. doi: 10.1080/02640410903473844.
3. Jackson MJ. Muscle damage during exercise: possible role of free radicals and protective effect of vitamin E. Proc Nutr Soc. 1987;46(1):77–80. doi: 10.1079/PNS19870010.
4. T. Lebarron The Actions of Molecular Hydrogen in the Body, MHI, March 4, 2013
5. Pilot study: Effects of drinking hydrogen-rich water on muscle fatigue caused by acute exercise in elite athletes. Med Gas Res. 2012 Jul 12;2:12. doi: 10.1186/2045-9912-2-12.
6. Ostojic SM, Stojanovic MD. Hydrogen-rich water affected blood alkalinity in physically active men. Res Sports Med 2014; 22: 49–60
7. Ohsawa I, Ishikawa M, Takahashi K, Watanabe M, Nishimaki K, Yamagata K, Katsura K, Katayama Y, Asoh S, Ohta S. Hydrogen acts as a therapeutic antioxidant by selectively reducing cytotoxic oxygen radicals. Nat Med. 2007;13(6):688–694. doi: 10.1038/nm1577.
8. Kosuke Aoki, Atsunori Nakao, Takako Adachi, Yasushi Matsui, and Shumpei Miyakawa Hong Y, Chen S, Zhang JM. Hydrogen as a selective antioxidant: a review of clinical and experimental studies. J Int Med Res 2010; 38: 1893–1903
9. Hong Y, Chen S, Zhang JM. Hydrogen as a selective antioxidant: a review of clinical and experimental studies. J Int Med Res 2010; 38: 1893–1903
10. Ostojic SM, Stojanovic MD, Hoffman JR. Effectiveness of molecular hydrogen in the management of musculotendinous injuries. Med Sci Sport Exerc 2014; 46: S156–S157
11. Huang CS, Kawamura T, Toyoda Y, Nakao A. Recent advances in hydrogen research as a therapeutic medical gas. Free Radical Res 2010;44(9):971–982
12. Ohta S, Nakao A, Ohno K. The 2011 Medical Molecular Hydrogen Symposium: An inaugural symposium of the journal Medical Gas Research. Med Gas Res 2011;1(1):10.
13. Kenji Dohi, Brian C. Kraemer, Michelle A. Erickson, Pamela J. McMillan, Andrej Kovac, Zuzana Flach bartova, Kim M. Hansen, Gul N. Shah, Nader Sheibani, Therese Salameh, and William A. Banks. Molecular Hydrogen in Drinking Water Protects against Neurodegenerative Changes Induced by Traumatic Brain Injury, Injury PLoS One. 2014 Sep 24;9(9):e108034.