The redox imbalance between nitric oxide and superoxide generated in the endothelium is thought to play a pivotal role in the development of endothelial dysfunction. A third reactive oxygen species (ROS), H2O2, is known to have both beneficial and detrimental effects on the vasculature. Nonetheless, the influence of the hydroxyl radical, a byproduct of H2O2 decay, is unclear, and there is no direct evidence that the hydroxyl radical impairs endothelial function in conduit arteries. Molecular hydrogen (H2) neutralizes detrimental ROS, especially the hydroxyl radical.
To assess the influence of the hydroxyl radical on the endothelium and to confirm that a gaseous antioxidant, molecular hydrogen H2, can be a useful modulator of blood vessel function.
The efficacy of water containing a high concentration of molecular hydrogen H2 was tested by measuring flow-mediated dilation (FMD) of the brachial artery (BA). The subjects were randomly divided into two groups: the high- molecular hydrogen H2 group, who drank high- molecular hydrogen H2 water containing 7 ppm molecular hydrogen H2 (3.5 mg molecular hydrogen H2 in 500 mL water); and the placebo group. Endothelial function was evaluated by measuring the FMD of the BA. After measurement of diameter of the BA and FMD at baseline, volunteers drank the high- molecular hydrogen H2 water or placebo water immediately and with a 30-minute interval; FMD was compared to baseline.
FMD increased in the high- molecular hydrogen H2 water group (eight males; eight females) from 6.80%±1.96% to 7.64%±1.68% (mean ± standard deviation) and decreased from 8.07%±2.41% to 6.87%±2.94% in the placebo group (ten males; eight females). The ratio to the baseline in the changes of FMD showed significant improvement (P<0.05) in the high- molecular hydrogen H2 water group compared to the placebo group.
molecular hydrogen H2 may protect the vasculature from shear stress-derived detrimental ROS, such as the hydroxyl radical, by maintaining the nitric oxide-mediated vasomotor response.
diatomic molecular hydrogen H2- Water Products
- Enjoy molecular hydrogen water from an entry level price top quality water ionizer
- Enjoy neutral pH water rich in molecular Hydrogen form AlkaViva IonPia H2 hydrogen water ionizer
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation via a NON electric water ionizer at a decent price
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation via a NON electric UnderSink water ionizer at a decent price
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation EVERYWHERE through a AlkaViva PHD pitcher
- H2Viva Hydrogen Tablets
Enjoy H2 Anywhere Here
- Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2014 Oct 17;10:591-7. doi: 10.2147/VHRM.S68844. eCollection 2014.
Consumption of water containing over 3.5 mg of dissolved molecular hydrogen could improve vascular endothelial function.
- Department of Cardiology, Haradoi Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan.
- MiZ Company Limited, Fujisawa, Kanagawa, Japan.
- Department of Internal Medicine, Haradoi Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan.
- Midorino Clinic, Aoba, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka, Japan.
- Department of Rheumatology and Orthopedic Surgery, Haradoi Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan.