We have found that hydrogen (dihydrogen [H2] (water)) decreases plasma low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels and improves high-density lipoprotein (HDL) function in patients with potential metabolic syndrome in a before-after self-controlled study.
The purpose of this study was to further characterize the effects of H2-rich water (0.9 L/day) on the content, composition, and biological activities of plasma lipoproteins on patients with hypercholesterolemia and their underlying mechanisms in a double-blinded, randomized, and placebo-controlled trial.
This was a case-control study.
The setting was the Zhoudian community, Tai’an, China.
A total of 68 patients with untreated isolated hypercholesterolemia were randomly allocated to either drinking H2-rich water (n = 34) or placebo water (n = 34) for 10 weeks.
HDL isolated from the H2 group showed an increased ability to promote the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1-mediated cholesterol efflux ex vivo. Plasma pre-β-HDL levels were up-regulated although there were no changes in plasma HDL-cholesterol levels. Moreover, other HDL functions, assessed in protection against LDL oxidation, inhibition of oxidized-LDL-induced inflammation, and protection of endothelial cells from oxidized-LDL-induced apoptosis, were all significantly improved by H2 treatment. In addition, molecular hydrogen water H2 treatment increased the effective rate in down-regulating plasma levels of total cholesterol (47.06% vs 17.65%) and LDL cholesterol (47.06% vs 23.53%). Western blot analysis revealed a marked decrease in apolipoprotein B100 and an increase in apolipoprotein M in plasma of the molecular hydrogen water H2 group. Finally molecular hydrogen water H2 treatment resulted in a significant reduction in the levels of several inflammatory and oxidative stress indicators in whole plasma and HDL particles.
H2 activates ATP-binding cassette transporter A1-dependent efflux, enhances HDL antiatherosclerotic functions, and has beneficial lipid-lowering effects. The present findings highlight the potential role of H2 in the regression of hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis.
- DOI: 10.1210/jc.2015-1321
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Jul;100(7):2724-33. doi: 10.1210/jc.2015-1321. Epub 2015 May 15.
Hydrogen Activates ATP-Binding Cassette Transporter A1-Dependent Efflux Ex Vivo and Improves High-Density Lipoprotein Function in Patients With Hypercholesterolemia: A Double-Blinded, Randomized, and Placebo-Controlled Trial.Song G1, Lin Q1, Zhao H1, Liu M1, Ye F1, Sun Y1, Yu Y1, Guo S1, Jiao P1, Wu Y1, Ding G1, Xiao Q1, Qin S1.
- Key Laboratory of Atherosclerosis in Universities of Shandong and Institute of Atherosclerosis (G.S., Q.L., H.Z., Y.Y., S.G., P.J., S.Q.), TaiShan Medical University, Tai’an, China 271000; Heart Center of TaiShan Medical University (G.S., Q.L., Y.W., Q.X., S.Q.), Tai’an, China 271000; Zhoudian Community (M.L., Y.S.), Daiyue District, Tai’an, China 271021; Tai’an He Ren Tang Hospital (F.Y.), Tai’an, China 271021; Department of Cardiology (Y.W., Q.X., S.Q.), Affiliated Hospital of Taishan Medical University, Tai’an, China 271000; and Institute of Public Health (G.D.), TaiShan Medical University, Tai’an, China 271000.
diatomic molecular hydrogen H2- Water Products
- Enjoy molecular hydrogen water from an entry level price top quality water ionizer
- Enjoy neutral pH water rich in molecular Hydrogen form AlkaViva IonPia H2 hydrogen water ionizer
- Enjoy UltraWater & UltraFine 0.01 microns well water filtration as well as molecular hydrogen water with AlkaViva Elite Pure H2
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation via a NON electric water ionizer at a decent price
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation via a NON electric UnderSink water ionizer at a decent price
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation EVERYWHERE through a AlkaViva PHD pitcher