The study published in 2017 was conducted to investigate the protective effect of hydrogen-rich water on the liver function of colorectal cancer (CRC) patients treated with mFOLFOX6 chemotherapy.
A controlled, randomized, single-blind clinical trial was designed.
A total of 152 patients with colorectal cancer were recruited by the Department of Oncology of Taishan Hospital (Taian, China) between June 2010 and February 2016, among whom 146 met the inclusion criteria. Subsequently, 144 patients were randomized into the treatment with hydrogen water(n=80) and placebo (n=64) groups. At the end of the study, 76 patients in the hydrogen water treatment group and 60 patients in the placebo group were included in the final analysis.
The 80 patients group started drinking hydrogen-rich water 1 day prior to chemotherapy until the end of the cycle, for a total of 4 days, with a total intake of 1,000 ml hydrogen-rich water per day in 4 doses (250 ml hydrogen-rich water each). Hydrogen-rich water was consumed 0.5 h after a meal and before bedtime.
The patients did not discontinue consuming hydrogen-rich water during the entire course of chemotherapy.
The other 64 placebo patients consumed distilled water, with a daily intake of 1,000 ml in 4 doses (250 ml each).
The changes in liver function after the chemotherapy, such as altered levels of alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate transaminase (AST), alkaline phosphatase, indirect bilirubin (IBIL) and direct bilirubin, were observed. The damaging effects of the mFOLFOX6 chemotherapy on liver function were mainly represented by increased ALT, AST and IBIL levels. The hydrogen-rich water group exhibited no significant differences in liver function before and after treatment, whereas the placebo group exhibited significantly elevated levels of ALT, AST and IBIL. Thus, hydrogen-rich water appeared to alleviate the mFOLFOX6-related liver injury
diatomic molecular hydrogen H2 dissolved in Alkaline Ionized Water Products (you could drink around 4 liters per day as an adult )
- Enjoy molecular hydrogen water from an entry level price top quality water ionizer
- Enjoy neutral pH water rich in molecular Hydrogen form AlkaViva IonPia H2 hydrogen water ionizer
- Enjoy UltraWater & UltraFine 0.01 microns well water filtration as well as molecular hydrogen water with AlkaViva Elite Pure H2
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation via a NON electric water ionizer at a decent price
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation via a NON electric UnderSink water ionizer at a decent price
- enjoy UltraWater filtration, ionization and hydrogen generation EVERYWHERE through a AlkaViva PHD pitcher
Protective effect of hydrogen-rich water on liver function of colorectal cancer patients treated with mFOLFOX6 chemotherapy.
- Department of Oncology, Shandong Provincial Taishan Hospital, Taian, Shandong 271000, P.R. China.
- Department of Pathology, Taishan Medical University, Taian, Shandong 271000, P.R. China.
- Department of Oncology, Jinan Central Hospital Affiliated to Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong 250013, P.R. China.