- Drinking hydrogen water enhances endurance and relieves psychometric fatigue: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
Acute physical exercise increases reactive oxygen species in skeletal muscle, leading to tissue damage and fatigue. Molecular hydrogen (H2) acts as a therapeutic antioxidant directly or indirectly by inducing antioxidative enzymes.
Here, we examined the effects of drinking hydrogen H2 water (H2-infused water) on psychometric fatigue and endurance capacity in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled fashion.
In Experiment 1, all participants(humans) drank only placebo water in the first cycle ergometer exercise session, and for comparison they drank either hydrogen H2 water or placebo water 30 min before exercise in the second examination.In these healthy non-trained participants (n = 99), psychometric fatigue judged by visual analogue scales was significantly decreased in the hydrogen H2 water group after mild exercise. When each group was divided into 2 subgroups, the subgroup with higher visual analogue scale values was more sensitive to the effect of hydrogen water H2.
In Experiment 2, trained participants (n = 60) were subjected to moderate exercise by cycle ergometer in a similar way as in Experiment 1, but exercise was performed 10 min after drinking hydrogen H2 water. Endurance/fatigue were significantly improved/relieved in the hydrogen water H2 group as judged by maximal oxygen consumption and Borg’s scale, respectively.
Taken together, drinking hydrogen H2 water just before exercise exhibited anti-fatigue and improved endurance effects.
Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2019 Jun 28:1-6. doi: 10.1139/cjpp-2019-0059. [Epub ahead of print]
Drinking hydrogen water enhances endurance and relieves psychometric fatigue: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study 1.
- 1 Department of Health and Sports Science, Nippon Medical School, Musashino, Tokyo 180-0023, Japan.
- 2 Fitness Club, Asahi Big S Mukogaoka, Kawasaki-city, Kanagawa pref. 214-0014, Japan.
- 3 Hydrogen Health Medical Laboratory, Co., Ltd., Arakawa-ku, Tokyo 116-0001, Japan.
- 4 Slovak Academy of Sciences, Centre of Experimental Medicine, Institute for Heart Research, Bratislava 84005, Slovak Republic.
- 5 Molecular Hydrogen Institute, Enoch, UT 84721, USA.
- 6Department of Neurology Medicine, Juntendo University Graduate School of Medicine, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8421, Japan.